UWE Intern Position Description
United We Eat Intern
About United We Eat
United We Eat is Soft Landing Missoula’s food based programming. Our goal is to use food to provide a cultural bridge to our greater community and provide social and economic opportunity for Missoula’s refugees and immigrants. United We Eat has evolved over the years to include assistance at Missoula’s two farmers’ markets, partnerships with restaurants for Supper Club dinners, organization of holiday cookie sales, UWE@home, a popular program with a rotating crew of chefs who create 150-175 take-out meals a week, and most recently, Grab & Go, a program creating wholesale products for sale to a local restaurant. United We Eat has become an integral part of Soft Landing’s programming.
Interested in learning about social enterprise within the nonprofit world? Want to build skills in nonprofit management while working with an upbeat team of quirky professionals? Do you have a passion for welcoming our newest neighbors of immigrants and refugees? Come intern with us!
The United We Eat Intern will work directly with the UWE staff, refugee and immigrant chefs, volunteers, and Soft Landing staff to provide support both in the kitchen and out. The intern will split their hours between time in the kitchen for the Grab & Go program, making labels for products each week and assisting with weekly product delivery. The other half of the intern’s time will be spent working on projects for the UWE program manager. Intern job description can be adjusted to meet the candidate’s interests and skill sets.
The intern will be responsible for the following tasks:
In the kitchen:
- Label and organize products with counterpart and clients in accordance with health guidelines and in preparation for weekly wholesale
- Provide kitchen support as needed
- Deliver wholesale products with counterpart at local restaurant
- Collaborate on social media strategy and create content for different media platforms to highlight current and new UWE programming
In the office:
- Maintain up-to-date volunteer information
- Provide office support at SLM office as needed
- Upload receipts for UWE credit card to shared drive
- Research other refugee/immigrant organizations with similar food based social enterprise to develop ideas/strategies to expand
- Update/amend standard operating procedures for kitchen/intern work to maintain program sustainability
- Attend weekly staff meetings for United We Eat and Soft Landing to stay informed
- Flexibly assist with any other projects and tasks needed by United We Eat programming, as well as Soft Landing projects (as needed)
The intern will need access to:
- A car for dropping off wholesale products
- A laptop for printing labels (*could use SLM office laptops)
Schedule: 10-15 hours per week, for no less than 4 months
Other hours in the SLM office TBD by intern’s schedule
This is an unpaid internship. You’ll get the chance to build skills, add to your resume, and learn about the busy world of a nonprofit organization, while giving back to your community. Interns also get to interact with refugee and immigrant chefs from around the world and taste a different ethnic cuisine each week. We are happy to work with you if you need an internship as a part of your university or graduate work, or if you’re just passionate about the work and want to be a part of welcoming new neighbors to Missoula.
Please contact Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or for more information. Thanks!